Democracy in BC
- Cariboo Voters ListOne page of a record of individuals entitled to vote in Barkerville in 1871. At that time, only male British subjects who were at least 21 years old and who met certain property and residence requirements were allowed to vote. Noticeably absent are the names of the Chinese miners who were prolific in this area at the time. Who else is missing?Inventory Number: NWp 324.1 B187l
These links will take you away from the Learning Portal. Come back soon!
- Elections BC’s Learning About Elections
This webpage includes short educational videos and other resources about elections
- Elections BC Timeline
Scroll through important dates in BC’s electoral history.
- Democracy and Parliament
This document from the Legislative Assembly covers levels of government, the parliamentary system, the Legislative Assembly of BC and much more.
- A History of the Vote in Canada (Elections Canada)
All you ever wanted to know about democracy in Canada between 1758 and 2006.
- 100 Years of Women and the Vote
The first British Columbia women achieved the right to vote in 1917. This website includes links to timelines, biographies and archival documents from the Legislative Assembly.
- Role of an MLA
Ever wonder about the typical working day of what an MLA actually does day to day? Find out more here.
- British Columbia Electoral District Explorer
Explore this interactive map of current electoral districts.