St. Ann’s Schoolhouse Opens
This is a painting of St. Ann’s Schoolhouse made in 1872 by Sister M. Sophie. The schoolhouse, one of the oldest buildings in Western Canada, opened its doors in Victoria in 1858. It was operated until 1864 by the Sisters of St. Ann. The Sisters were educators, health care providers and social workers, as well as school and hospital administrators. The one-room building now sits on the grounds of the Royal BC Museum. Take a virtual tour of the building and learn more about the legacy of the Sisters of St. Ann in Living Schoolhouse.